Friday, September 10, 2010

501 Must-See Movies: 'Band Wagon, The' to 'Best Years of Our Lives, The'

The list weakens this week after a pretty good one last time. There are 2 true classics in here and 1 that is more notorious than the other 9 put together.


The Band Wagon
: 1953, USA (Musical)

Another Fred Astaire classic that apparently should top most serious musical lover's list. Astaire was 'probably never better.'


Barefoot in the Park: 1967, USA (Romance)

Robert Redford and Jane Fonda star in the Neil Simon adapted screenplay. The young couple live in a 5th floor flat with no elevator. The stairs seemingly steal the show.


Basic Instinct: 1992, USA (Mystery & Thriller)

I shamefully admit that I have never seen this movie. Still the leg crossing scene is beyond infamous. Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone lead this combination of violence, sex and mystery.


Batman: 1989, USA (Science Fiction & Fantasy)

This movie took Batman from the over the top slapstick of the Adam West days and back into the dark tortured character that he really is. Nicholson plays a great Joker and maybe his best role ever with the freedom to be as outrageous as possible. I think I prefer Christian Bale's new Batman to Keaton's though.


Battleground: 1949, USA (War)

The only name I recognize in the cast list is Ricardo Montalban. A grimly honest look at war in contrast to the normal romantic, glorified view that was common of the time. The movie focuses on a suffering of a group of soldiers with no glorification on any individual serviceman.


The Bedford Incident: 1965, USA (War)

This is a classic suspenseful cause of a submarine. The movie is said to reflect on the madness that could spark the Cold War at any moment.


Belle de jour: 1967, France/Italy (Drama)

A woman is torn between two lives, her meek existence in her newlywed home and her under cover sexual desires working in a brothel. Extremely edgy subject matter for its time, but this is France.


Bend of the River: 1952, USA (Western)

This western brought about an edgier, tougher Jimmy Stewart after his earlier, more charming movies. In sort of a classic old west arch, Stewart is trying to escape his criminal past when he meets back up with a former partner.


Ben-Hur: 1959, USA (Action/Adventure & Epic)

Pretty sure this movie is the definition of Epic. The chariot race alone takes up 20 minutes except that the entire film is almost 4 hours. The movie is grand on all accounts and Heston continues to appear larger than life playing another biblical times character. It shares the record for most Oscars with Titanic.


The Best Years of Our Lives: 1946, USA (Drama)

This movie tackles the subject of men returning from war and how they integrate back into society, still a relevant issue today. The 3 men seemingly came back alright until everything begins to unravel for them.

2 comments:

Dan Woessner said...

The more I think about it, the more it seems weird that Michael Keaton got the part of Batman. Really before that, he was known for romantic comedies. Nothing very serious, dark or action based. Although I don't know if Val Kilmer or George Clooney really did any better. The Joker makes that movie. I still haven't seen any of the newer ones. I've meant to, maybe when I go into "hibernation" this winter for a week or so.

I think I did see Basic Instinct, but I was pretty young and I don't think I followed it totally. For some reason, I always get this confused with Single White Female scenes. It's really quite amazing what I was allowed to watch for being 10-years old. No wonder I turned out like I have.

I think I've seen most of Ben Hur. I am pretty sure it was on TV when I was growing up. But like above, I sometimes confuse scenes with Spartacus, another one shown to eat up 4-hours of programming.

Unknown said...

I've always thought Keaton was kind of a weird dude anyway. Batman came a wear after Beetlejuice when he was an eccentric over the top character, so I guess I could see the connection. This Batman still seems a bit cartoony in the sets and costumes. Tim Burton definitely has a style. The newer ones are darker with less of that cartoony feel. Plus Liam Neeson is in 'Batman Begins'. I love that guy.

Ben Hur is another one of those long ass movies that have biblical ties so it is good to put on around the holidays to kill alot of time and yet seem relevant.