Monday, December 10, 2018

Red’s Book Reviews: The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs


The Know-It-All details Jacobs’ educational endeavor of reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica from start to finish. His narrative takes us through the alphabet while relating entries to his own life. He takes up the challenge to recapture the confidence he had as a ten-year-old who felt he was the smartest boy in the world along with conquering a task that his father failed to complete. He has always been intellectually competitive with his father, a lawyer who has a number degrees and written numerous books on law. Driving the story is the pursuit of intelligence, the definition of intelligence, and the way knowledge shapes the relationships each of us make.

I admire the dedication this took, but I won’t lie that at times I felt like the narrative and its lessons were done a bit heavy-handedly. While I am a fan of creative non-fiction, I always grow somewhat uncomfortable with books like this because I spend a lot of the time wondering how much of the writer’s goal was shaped by the idea that he’s going to write about it later. Once that enters my mind, it’s hard to forget, making some of the neat connections between entries and his life seem less genuine because he created the connection to fit his narrative. Still, it’s a fun read and I recommend giving it a chance.

Up next: We Were the Lucky Ones by Gloria Hunter

No comments: